Process Safety Engineer
Location: Sergeant Bluff, Iowa
Business Area: Engineering and Engineering Services
Schedule: Full Time
At CF Industries, our mission is to provide clean energy to feed and fuel the world sustainably. Our employees are focused on safe and reliable operations, environmental stewardship, and disciplined capital and corporate management. By joining CF, you will be part of a team that brings their varied experiences, wide-ranging knowledge and diverse talents together to deliver important work and you’ll be able to pursue complex, exciting opportunities that help you continue to grow and achieve your potential in different areas. You’ll take pride in working for a company that lives its values and where you can be yourself at work, as part of an authentic team that encourages you to share your views and opinions. Our nine manufacturing complexes in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, an unparalleled storage, transportation and distribution network in North America, and logistics capabilities enabling a global reach underpin our strategy to leverage our unique capabilities to accelerate the world’s transition to clean energy.
Function:Engineering and Engineering Services
Job Summary:The Process Safety Engineer works with the Process Safety Coordinator to develop and administer the site Process Safety Management (PSM) programs, based on OSHA PSM standard and EPA’s Risk Management Plan (RMP) regulations. The PSM program is used to reduce the risk of incidents resulting in catastrophic consequences to people, environment, assets or Company reputation by leading continuous improvement in the overall management of process safety. The Process Safety Engineer collaborates across departments and groups to implement initiatives; in addition the PSM Engineer quickly adapts to short-term needs while balancing long-term strategic priorities.
1. Oversight of Process Hazard Analyses (PHA) for the site:
- Monitors 5-year cyclical PHA process
- Directs risk assessments techniques to include Process Hazards Analysis (PHA), Semi-Quantitative Risk Assessment, Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCFA) and Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA)
- Provides consequence modeling of process safety incidents
2. Serves as PSM subject matter expert and conducts training regarding PSM fundamentals, procedures, and requirements:
- Onboarding of all new employees in the PSM process
- Supports Management of Change (MOC) Process and PSSRs
3. Leads, facilitates or participates in site incident investigations to determine root causes of incidents, especially those that are considered PSM in nature.
4. Routinely audits all PSM elements to ensure compliance and identify improvements and best practices. Identifies/secures necessary resources needed to assist in ensuring PSM compliance.
5. Develops and implements management systems, procedures and process improvements as needed to ensure continuous improvement in all OSHA, PSM, and EPA RMP regulations in conjunction with corporate standards.
6. Risk Management and Audit Compliance:
- Works closely with Operations, Maintenance and Engineering to provide guidance regarding risk assessment methodologies, equipment design, and auditing of safety critical barriers;
- Coordinates the development of the Facility Siting review and implements follow up activities;
- Coordinates annual inspections with insurance underwriters and associated activities to mitigate identified risks;
- Coordinates response activities to the site PSM audit findings;
- Participates on the Corporate Process Safety Council;
- Participates on Corporate EH&S Audit Group to conduct PSM audits of other operating sites and share best practices.
7. General Environment, Health & Safety Activities:
- Supports sites safety strategies and VIP goals
- Participates in emergency response drills and initiatives
1. Degree in engineering or other related technical degree; 1-3 years of process safety experience in a manufacturing environment preferred.
2. PSM/RMP knowledge and experience with federal/state/ local environmental and safety regulations highly preferred.
3. Experience in PHAs and Facility Siting
4. Experience in incident investigation, including root cause analysis.
5. Knowledge of the MOC/Pre-Startup Safety Review process
6. Familiarity with Safety Integrity Level (SIL) analysis and Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS)
7. Solid communication skills including the ability to compose written documents, and interact effectively with peers and supervisors.
8. Experience using computer based systems, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
9. Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and decision making skills.
10. Good interpersonal skills combined with the ability to work as a team player and capable of managing multiple task.
11. Possess the general desire to be engaged and learn about the plant and its processes.
- CF Industries is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
- Employees in the US can learn more about their rights by viewing the federal "EEO is the Law" poster (PDF) and others as detailed below:
Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Employees in Canada can learn more about their rights by viewing the “Canadian Human Rights Act”.
If you need any assistance seeking a job opportunity at CF Industries, or if you need reasonable accommodation with the application process, please call 847-405-2400 or contact us at email@example.com.