Sr. Corporate Counsel
Location: Northbrook, Illinois
Business Area: Legal
Schedule: Full Time
At CF Industries, our mission is to provide clean energy to feed and fuel the world sustainably. Our employees are focused on safe and reliable operations, environmental stewardship, and disciplined capital and corporate management. By joining CF, you will be part of a team that brings their varied experiences, wide-ranging knowledge and diverse talents together to deliver important work and you’ll be able to pursue complex, exciting opportunities that help you continue to grow and achieve your potential in different areas. You’ll take pride in working for a company that lives its values and where you can be yourself at work, as part of an authentic team that encourages you to share your views and opinions. Our eight manufacturing complexes in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, an unparalleled storage, transportation and distribution network in North America, and logistics capabilities enabling a global reach underpin our strategy to leverage our unique capabilities to accelerate the world’s transition to clean energy.
Job Summary:Experienced corporate attorney responsible for a broad range of corporate matters, with a primary focus on securities, strategic transactions, and corporate governance. Other matters that s/he will also support include treasury and tax transactions, executive compensation and human resources, general commercial contracting and other matters.
This position will report into the VP, Associate General Counsel.
- Providing support for company compliance with securities laws and reporting/disclosure procedures, Exchange Act filings (including current, quarterly and annual reports, proxy statements, and Section 16 filings) and compliance with NYSE listing standards.
- Providing legal advice on mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures, both domestic and international.
- Providing legal advice to the Treasury Department on financing transactions, including credit facilities and bond offerings and other Treasury-related matters and drafting related documentation.
- Providing legal advice on internal restructuring transactions, including drafting company minutes, contribution agreements, stock transfer agreements, asset transfer agreements and other corporate documents.
- Supporting corporate secretary and corporate governance matters, including monitoring best practices, preparing Board and committee meeting materials, entity management, and general corporate governance matters.
- Providing support across a range of other areas, including for example executive compensation and human resources related matters, developing, reviewing and revising company policies, conducting training where necessary, and handling various other legal matters as the needs of the business dictate.
- Supervising outside counsel where appropriate, ensuring quality, value and budget discipline.
- Education/Licensing: Juris Doctor degree with strong academic credentials.
- Minimum of 6+ years of related legal experience at a prominent law firm and/or corporation or other prominent firm.
- Strong foundation in corporate law and securities law matters; solid experience in strategic transactions.
- Business-oriented approach to problem solving, tempered by an appreciation for legal complexity and risk.
- Superior legal and analytical skills – excellent judgment and initiative in selecting the most effective solutions.
- Strong negotiation skills. Highly developed analytical and legal research skills, highly effective written and verbal communications skills. Ability to communicate and relate to all levels of the organization and within a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to stand firm on issues with business clients when necessary.
- Collaborative nature.
- Developed sense of judgment, risk management skills and ability to balance business needs, regulatory obligations and reputational risks in an objective, practical way.
- Demonstrated ability to both grasp the “big picture” and attend to details.
- Excellent follow-through skills; dedication to responsive internal client service.
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize and manage workload, manage simultaneous tasks, and meet deadlines with a changing fast-paced environment.
What We Offer:
You’ll enjoy competitive compensation, consisting of base pay plus an incentive program available to all full-time employees, and a comprehensive benefits package including high-quality healthcare options, a well-being incentive program, 401k, life and disability insurance, generous time off (with time off to volunteer) and much more! Additionally, we offer several Flexible Work Arrangements to support a healthy work-life balance.
You will be part of a team that brings their varied experiences, wide-ranging knowledge and diverse talents together to deliver important work, and you’ll be able to pursue complex, exciting opportunities that help you continue to grow and achieve your potential in different areas. You’ll take pride in working for a company that lives its values and gain a sense of fulfillment knowing that you’re working with purpose, to provide clean energy to feed and fuel the world sustainably.
- CF Industries is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
- Employees in the US can learn more about their rights by viewing the federal "EEO is the Law" poster (PDF) and others as detailed below:
Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Employees in Canada can learn more about their rights by viewing the “Canadian Human Rights Act”.
If you need any assistance seeking a job opportunity at CF Industries, or if you need reasonable accommodation with the application process, please call 847-405-2400 or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.